Trails of History and Wine
Ancient Akrotiri and Santorini Wineries Tour
Explore the history and past of Santorini at the lost city of Akrotiri, the most impressive prehistoric site all over the Aegean.
After your hotel pcikup, unfold the nearly-lost history of the ash-covered Bronze-Age city dating back from the antiquity with a 1-hour private tour of Akrotiri with an expert archaeolgist professional guide.
Then, spend your afternoon sipping crisp Santorini volcanic wines during a tour of 3 traditional wineries all acclaimed by international experts.
Sample a selection of 12 different Santorini wine styles served with local cheese and reveal a 4,000 year wine-making history.
Finish your 6-hour small group tour of Akrotiri and three Santorini wineries with a 2-course local lunch served at the final winery tour.
Mon-Tue-Thu-Sat: 10:30 am (April and October)
Mon-Tue-Thu-Sat: 09:00 am (May to September)
Small Group Tour: 190€ per person (up to 6-8 guests on tour)
- Discover the fabled city of Akrotiri, lost for centuries underneath Santorini’s volcanic ash
- Hear the fascinating history of Akrotiri from a professional guide, uncovering the links between Plato’s “Atlantis” and the ash-covered prehistoric town of Akrotiri
- Visit three acclaimed traditional wineries at the Santorini’s countryside
- Try 12 varietals of Santorini wine such as Assyrtiko, Nychteri and the sublime Vinsanto
- Enjoy platters of local cheese and tapas to eat alongside wine-tastings
- Small Group Tour with a maximum of 6-8 people ensures personalized attention by your private guide
- Taste a 2-course local lunch at the final winery tour
Begin your experience with a pickup from your Santorini hotel and make your first stop at the fascinating archaeological site of Akrotiri, an ancient Minoan Bronze Age settlement that was destroyed and buried by a major volcanic eruption some 3,600 years ago.
Stroll around the semi-crumbled, multi-storied buildings with your archaeology-expert guide, and view the frescoes, pottery and other relics as you hear how life would have been here centuries ago.
Of particular interest is the ingenious drainage system that testifies to the sophistication of the engineers of the time. Many speculate that this timeworn site is home to the remains of Atlantis, a mythical city that was described by Greek philosopher Plato. Santorini’s long history of winemaking is evidenced in some of Akrotiri’s remains, providing the perfect cue for your next round of visits — to three of the island’s traditional wineries.
Admire the ambience of the vineyards as you travel to each of the wineries, and taste a total of 12 wines across your three visits.
Wines have been made on the island for more than 4,000 years, and are renowned for their delightful crispness and high acidity, both resulting from Santorini’s aspa — the island’s unique, volcanic soil.
Enjoy a cellar tour at each winery and learn about the different winemaking processes. Hear how the grapes are grown in baskets near the ground rather than on trellises to capture maximum moisture from the island’s minimal rainfall.
Your 12 tasting wines will include favored varietals such as nykteri, vinsanto and assyrtiko and be paired with local goodies such as cheese and tapas to balance out their tastes.
Finally, end your tour with a local lunch served at the finaly winery tour before your drop-off back at your hotel after a fun, educational and flavorful day.
- Hotel / Airbnb pickup and drop-off
- Transportation by Mercedes-Benz air-conditioned mini-van
- Guided tour of Akrotiri by a professional guide
- Tour of three Santorini wineries all acclaimed by international experts
- 12 different wine-tastings from Santorini and Greece
- English-speaking wine expert guide / Sommelier
- Mini wine-tasting tutorial of Greek wines
- Local cheese to eat alongside wine-tastings at each of the wineries
- Local 2-course lunch served at the final winery tour
- Admission tickets at the Akrotiri site and all the wineries
- All taxes and tasting fees