Trails of History and Wine
Ancient Akrotiri and Santorini Wineries Tour
Explore the history and past of Santorini at the lost city of Akrotiri, the most impressive prehistoric site all over the Aegean.
Unfold the nearly-lost history of the ash-covered Bronze-Age city, dating back from the antiquity.
Then, spend your afternoon sipping crisp Santorini volcanic wine during visits to 3 traditional wineries all acclaimed by international experts. Our Santorini wineries tour is a perfect way to learn the history of Santorini and taste fine wines!
Sample a selection of 12 different Santorini wine styles served alongside local cheese and tapas and reveal a 4,000 year wine-making history on a 6-hour small group tour of Akrotiri and three Santorini wineries.
Mon-Tue-Thu-Sat: 09:00 am (April to early November)
Small Group Tour: 190€ per person (up to 6-8 guests on tour)
- Discover the fabled city of Akrotiri, lost for centuries underneath Santorini’s volcanic ash
- Hear the fascinating history of Akrotiri from a professional guide, uncovering the links between Plato’s “Atlantis” and the ash-covered prehistoric town of Akrotiri
- Visit three acclaimed traditional wineries at the Santorini’s countryside
- Try 12 varietals of Santorini wine such as Assyrtiko, Nychteri and the sublime Vinsanto
- Enjoy platters of local cheese and tapas to eat alongside wine-tastings
- Small Group Tour with a maximum of 6-8 people ensures personalized attention by your private guide
Begin your experience with a pickup from your Santorini hotel and make your first stop at the fascinating archaeological site of Akrotiri, an ancient Minoan Bronze Age settlement that was destroyed and buried by a major volcanic eruption some 3,600 years ago.
Stroll around the semi-crumbled, multi-storied buildings with your archaeology-expert guide, and view the frescoes, pottery and other relics as you hear how life would have been here centuries ago.
Of particular interest is the ingenious drainage system that testifies to the sophistication of the engineers of the time. Many speculate that this timeworn site is home to the remains of Atlantis, a mythical city that was described by Greek philosopher Plato. Santorini’s long history of winemaking is evidenced in some of Akrotiri’s remains, providing the perfect cue for your next round of visits — to three of the island’s traditional wineries
Admire the ambience of the vineyards as you travel to each of the wineries, and taste a total of 12 wines across your three visits.
Wines have been made on the island for more than 4,000 years, and are renowned for their delightful crispness and high acidity, both resulting from Santorini’s aspa — the island’s unique, volcanic soil.
Enjoy a cellar tour at each winery and learn about the different winemaking processes. Hear how the grapes are grown in baskets near the ground rather than on trellises to capture maximum moisture from the island’s minimal rainfall.
Your 12 tasting wines will include favored varietals such as nykteri, vinsanto and assyrtiko and be paired with local goodies such as cheese and tapas to balance out their tastes.
Finally, end your tour with a drop-off back at your hotel after a fun, educational and flavorful day.
Be sure to ask about our other Santorini tours!
- Hotel / Airbnb pickup and drop-off
- Transportation by Mercedes-Benz air-conditioned mini-van
- Guided tour of Akrotiri by a professional guide
- Visits at three Santorini wineries all acclaimed by international experts
- 12 different wine-tastings from Santorini and Greece
- English-speaking wine expert guide / Sommelier
- Mini wine-tasting tutorial of Greek wines
- Local cheese and tapas to eat alongside wine-tastings at each of the wineries
- Admission tickets at Akrotiri site and the wineries
- All taxes and tasting fees