Trails of History and Wine
Trails of History and Wine: Ancient Akrotiri and Santorini Wineries Tour
Explore the history and past of Santorini at the Greek marvel of Akrotiri, the most impressive prehistoric site on the Aegean.
Unfold the nearly-lost history of the ash-covered Bronze-Age city, dating back from the antiquity.
Then, spend you afternoon sipping crisp Santorini volcanic wine during visits to 3 traditional wineries, sample a fine selection of Santorini wine styles and reveal a 4,000 year wine-making history.
Monday to Sunday: 08:45 to 09:15 am, depending hotel location.
(April 1st – November 1st)
Small Group Tour: 150.00€ per person (Up to 8 guests on tour)
- 6-Hour in-depth history and wine tour led by a Greek archaeologist and an expert wine guide / sommelier.
- Discover the Greek marvel of Akrotiri, lost for centuries underneath Santorini’s volcanic ash.
- Hear the fascinating history of Akrotiri by a professional guide, uncovering the links between Plato’s “Atlantis” and the ash-covered prehistoric town of Akrotiri.
- Wine tour of three traditional wineries dotted around the island.
- Try up to 12 varietals of Santorini wine such as Assyrtiko, Nychteri, Vinsanto and enjoy samples of local cheese alongside wine-tastings.
- Small groups with a maximum of 8 ensure personalized attention and intimate experience.
Uncover the fascinating history of Santorini on a guided tour of the Akrotiri Excavations, a prehistoric town that has been frozen in time by ash that fell during the Minoan volcanic eruption 3,600 years ago. Some speculate that this may be the origin of Atlantis, a mythical city described on the scripts of the Greek philosopher “Plato“, and has been lost in time since.
Ruins, frescoes and impressive ceramic artifacts are just a few of the finds that add even more intrigue to the site as you wander around.
Continue your discovery in the wine country, visit 3 traditional island wineries and enjoy cellar tours to see how the wine-making process unfolds, from grape to glass.
Learn about Santorini’s unique viticulture traditions at the unforgiving island conditions & taste a selection of 12 Santorini wine styles such as Assyrtiko, Nykteri and the sublimely sweet Vinsanto wine.
- Pick up & drop-off at your Santorini Hotel or Fira town (near cruise port).
- English-speaking, archaeologist and wine-expert guide.
- Guided tour of the Akrotiri excavations and three Santorini wineries.
- Wine-tasting of 12 different samples of wine.
- Mini wine-tasting tutorial of Greek wines.
- Snack plate with local cheese and olives alongside wine-tastings.
- All admissions fees at Akrotiri.
- All admissions and tasting fees at the wineries.